I have adapted the Tuning in to Teens course to help parents manage family emotions as we move out of lockdown and back-to-school. This course is ideal for parents with children aged 9-19 years and you will need to make sure you attend all the sessions to get the most out of it.
Tuning in to Teens is an evidence-based course and one of the best courses for helping parents manage family emotions I have personally come across – it is perfect for helping us during the times we are currently living through!
By the end of the course you should:
- Be better able to manage family emotions and remain calm as we move out of lockdown.
- Have a better understanding of what “normal” adolescent behaviour is!
- Have a reduction in family conflict
- See a reduction in your children’s anxiety and challenging behaviour as well as an improvement in their mental health
- Feel more connected and empathetic towards your child and the less reactive to their emotions
- Have seen an improvement in the quality of family communication and relationships
- Have an improved awareness of your own emotional needs and well-being and how you can support yourself as you parent your children
The course focuses on helping parents become emotionally intelligent parents, better able to manage their own and their children’s emotions and behaviour which ultimately helps in building stronger family relationships.
I am a qualified facilitator who loves helping parents of children aged 9-19 years. I have extensive knowledge of parenting and managing parenting challenges – I am always happy to answer any questions you may have!
You will need to attend all 4 sessions:
Session 1: The foundations for emotion coaching teens
- An introduction to the programme and emotional intelligence
- An introduction to the concept and skills of emotion coaching
- Becoming more aware of your own and your teens’ emotions
- You begin to explore ways to connect with your teenager around emotion
Session 2: Connecting, showing empathy and emotional acceptance
- Exploring types of emotion dismissing parenting and why we might have developed these parenting styles
- Increasing your capacity for connecting with your teenage
- You learn how to increase your capacity to feel empathy with your teenager
- You also learn to strengthen your skills in empathetic responding
- You learn to develop skills in recognising and reflecting emotions in your teen including developing language to use in reflecting emotions
Session 3: Emotional coaching fear
- You learn to improve skills in your own emotional awareness, regulation and self-care
- You consolidate your skills and emotion coaching and explore the 5-step problem-solving process
- You learn about managing your own feelings and behaviour including feelings of rejection
- Developing emotional coaching skills around teen anger
- Understanding the need for boundaries and negotiation
Session 4: Emotion coaching anger and managing conflict
- You will get a greater understanding of anger and the difference between angry feelings and behaviours
- An introduction to the family calming plan
- Top tips on managing family conflict
- Emotion coaching in day-to-day family life
- Review of the course